Monday, September 10, 2012

Odds and Probability


When dealing with probability you can also determine the odds of an event. Odds and probability are different things. Probability is the likeliness or chance an event will happen. It is the number of the event happening over the total number of events. For example if you toss a coin the probability of getting a head is 1/2. Or if you roll two dice the probability you will roll the sum of 2 is 1/36. This differs from Odds. When dealing with odds of an event it is the number of the event happening over the number of the event not happening or vice versa depending on weather you are dealing with odds in favor or odds against. If you roll a dice the odds in favor of getting heads would be 1/1.  If you rolled two dice the odds in favor of getting the sum of 2 would be 1/35

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/56706.html


 
 

4 comments:

  1. Good start. You could include more images and make your posts more relevant to your own life with mathematics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, probabilities and odds are perhaps two of the most confusing terms in the math dictionary. I used to think they were the same things until we did these class activities. Even now right after I read the blog I still cannot recall the differences between probabilities and odds. I really like how you used the coins and dice. Without them it probably would have been next to impossible to explain the concepts. The next time I'm stuck with these terms I think I will refer to this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, I loved how you explained this! It makes so much sense. I think that students would really gain from this activity. I like that you have an actual experiment on here, it helps enhance the learning! Great job on your blog, love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was very interesting reading your blogs. But i have to agree with rylew, Probability is very confusing to me. I can never understand what probablilty is or how to use it. I have been taught over and over about probability, but i still dont understand. Your blogs were very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete